Scleroderma Foundation's Arnold Postlethwaite, M.D., Pre‑Doctoral Summer Fellowship Award Program
Application Deadline: The deadline to apply is Friday, April 30, 2021, 5 p.m. Eastern Time
|Fellowship Award Instructions
2021 awards are named in memory of
Arnold Postlethwaite, M.D.,
renowned scleroderma specialist and
22-year member of the Scleroderma Foundation’s
Medical & Scientific Advisory Board
The mission of the Scleroderma Foundation is threefold: 1) to provide EDUCATIONAL and emotional SUPPORT to people with scleroderma and their families; 2) to stimulate and support RESEARCH designed to identify the cause and cure of scleroderma as well as improve method of treatment; and 3) to enhance the public's awareness of scleroderma and related diseases.
The Scleroderma Foundation is the leading nonprofit supporter of scleroderma research, funding an average of $1 million in peer-reviewed grants annually to discover the cause, understand the mechanism, and overcome scleroderma forever. Since its inception, the Foundation has committed over $29 million for scleroderma research, which continues as a priority of our mission.
The goal of the Summer Fellowship Award Program is to recognize Ph.D. students conducting research related to scleroderma. The program will encourage and foster the next generation of researchers by cultivating students' early interests in working to discover the cause and cure of scleroderma.
Students may submit a proposal on research relevant to adult or pediatric scleroderma.
To be eligible to apply, the applicant must meet the following requirements:
- Must be a current graduate student in an accredited doctoral (Ph.D.) program in the U.S.
- The applicant must still be a current graduate student at the time of award activation.
- Medical students are not eligible; however, M.D./Ph.D. students in the graduate phase of their education are eligible to apply.
- May not hold an M.D., Ph.D., D.O., or equivalent terminal degree.
- Propose a research topic that is relevant to adult or pediatric scleroderma.
- Must complete research under the direction and mentorship of a sponsor who demonstrates sufficient funding to support the proposed study of the mentee.
- Students must devote at least eight weeks to the project.
Funding and Award Notification
All applicants will be notified of their award status on June 1, 2021. The Scleroderma Foundation will award $2,000 directly to the recipients of the award. The funds can be used to support the student's research project, defray tuition costs, housing, books, or travel/registration to scientific meetings. This award may be taxable; the Scleroderma Foundation sends an IRS form 1099 to the recipient at the end of the calendar year.
The Summer Fellowship Awards are made possible in part by a generous contribution from the Scleroderma Foundation Greater Chicago Chapter.
Conditions of Award
All award recipients are required to submit a brief report by June 2022 on the outcomes of their research project. Recipients are asked to acknowledge the Scleroderma Foundation as a supporter in any published work and presentations resulting from their research.
- DOWNLOAD the application form.
- COMPLETE the application in its entirety and save to a PDF file as follows: LAST NAME, FIRST NAME_SF FELLOWSHIP AWARD.
- Thoroughly REVIEW your entire application before submitting. Applications that do not meet the guidelines, that are incomplete, or are received past the deadline will not be reviewed.
- SUBMIT: Email your completed application in PDF format to: email@example.com.
- DEADLINE: All applications MUST be received by Friday, April 30, 2021, 5 p.m. Eastern Time.
- CONFIRMING RECEIPT OF YOUR APPLICATION: The Foundation will send confirmation emails to all applicants within 72 hours of receipt. If you do not receive an email confirmation please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A complete application must contain the following components:
- Personal Contact Information
- Academic Information
- Project Title
- Personal Statement
- Project Lay Summary
- Student and Mentor Biosketches
- Research Plan
- Letter of Support from Mentor
About Arnold Postlethwaite, M.D.
The Scleroderma Foundation is pleased to name 2021 awards in memory of Arnold Postlethwaite, M.D. Dr. Postlethwaite dedicated his life to medicine, working full-time until his recent illness. He held positions at both the University of Tennessee Health Science Center and the Veterans Administration Medical Center in Memphis, Tennessee for 47 years. In 1981, he became Chief of the Rheumatology Section at UT and the VA. He also assumed the role of Director of the Division of Connective Tissue Diseases at UTHSC and held the Goodman Chair of Excellence in Medicine. He was an international authority in rheumatologic diseases with particular interest in rheumatoid arthritis and scleroderma. In 2012, he received the President’s Award by the Tennessee Rheumatologic Society and Doctor of the Year Award by the Scleroderma Foundation, where he was a member of the Medical and Scientific Advisory Board. He was also awarded the designation of Master by the American College of Rheumatology. Dr. Postlethwaite was a well-loved academician who always unselfishly gave his time to mentor and train other researchers and physicians as well as to provide support to patients.
Please contact the Scleroderma Foundation with any questions at email@example.com or by calling (800) 722-4673.