Scleroderma Foundation More than Doubles Research Commitment
- Annual research funding increases to $2.723 million. Read the press release. (6/29/2021)
Important Updates on COVID Masks for People with Scleroderma
- Read 5/17/2021 Mask Advisory from CEO Robert Riggs
- Para Información Sobre COVID-19 Haga Clic Aquí
- Vaccine Info 4/28/21: Questions and Answers Regarding the COVID-19 Vaccine
- Read COVID-19 information Confirmed by the Foundation's Medical & Scientific Advisory Board Leadership Committee
What is Scleroderma?
Scleroderma is a rare disease that affects connective tissue and the vascular system. Generally classified as an autoimmune rheumatic disease, an overproduction of collagen (fibrosis) hardens tissue and damages organs. Commonly affecting the skin (called localized), scleroderma also affects internal organs (systemic sclerosis) and can be life-threatening. Anyone can have scleroderma. No one knows what causes the disease, although there are many clues including genetic predisposition. There is no cure and no drugs that halt the progression of the disease or reverse it. The fibrosis at the center of scleroderma makes it prototypic for all other fibrotic diseases.
Who We Are
The Scleroderma Foundation’s threefold mission provides emotional support and disease education while funding innovative research to discover the cause, understand the mechanisms and overcome scleroderma forever. With historical roots from the 1970s and a nation-wide network of chapters, the Foundation’s signature National Scleroderma Conference provides access to expert information and is the centerpiece of the community. The Foundation’s Medical & Scientific Advisory Board is comprised of world-renowned scleroderma experts who guide the organization’s health-related policies. Its Peer-Review Research Program emphasizes scientific merit, and its novel Patients as Partners program promotes collaboration between pharmaceutical and biotech entities and people living with scleroderma in the design of clinical trials.
Can’t download It? Have us mail you a copy!
- Strategic Plan Update; GoToWebinar: August 3, 1 p.m. Eastern Time
- Platinum GuideStar Status
- Advocacy Quiz: No Experience Required!
- Parents of Children with Scleroderma Support Group; Zoom: August 4, 2021; 7:30 p.m. - 9 p.m. Eastern Time
- Health Advocacy Summit; Virtual: August 7 & 8; 11 a.m. - 5 p.m. Eastern Time
- SYNC: Scleroderma Young Adults Needing Connection; Zoom: Friday, August 13 at 7:00 p.m. Eastern Time
- Proud Partner with World Lung Day; September 25, 2021
- 9th PeDRA Annual Conference; Virtual: October 14-15, 2021